Margeret Marks was born in Cologne, Germany and worked in Berlin. Marks studied as a ceramicist under Itten at the Bauhaus and established one of the leading pre-war potteries in Germany. Her UK clients included Heals and Liberty. She was forced to sell the business because of Nazi pressure in 1934, and left Germany in 1936 for Britain, where she worked for Mintons, Ridgway and Brains Foley potteries, producing her own decorated ware under the ‘GP’ (Grete Pottery) logo.
Her exhibitions include the Burslem School of Art (1937), solo shows at the Bloomsbury Gallery (1938), Redfern Gallery (1954), Roland, Browse & Delbanco (1956); Ben Uri (1979), and Hael Pottery (Velten, ner Berlin, 2006). A joint exhibition with Pamina Liebert-Mahrenholz was held at the Boundary Gallery, London (September 2008). Her work is held in collections in Berlin (including the Bauhaus Archiv), Brandenburg, New York, Illinois, Munich, London (British Musuem, V&A, Royal Festival Hall, Ben Uri), Kendal (Abbot Hall) and Stoke (Stoke-on-Trent Museum).