Hannah Frank was born to Russian Jewish parents who had fled persecution and settled in Glasgow in the early years of the 20th Century. Her father owned a shop for the sale and repair of photography equipment and scientific apparatus. One of four, Hannah Frank studied at Stranthbungo School, Albert Road Academy and Glasgow University, graduating in 1930. She produced her trademark black and white drawings between 1927 to 1932 and often published them in GUM (Glasgow University Magazine), under the pseudonym ‘Al Araaf’. After attending Jordanhill Training College, Frank taught at Campbell School and attended evening classes at Glasgow School of Art, where she won the James McBey Prize for her wood engravings.
In 1939, Hannah Frank married Lionel Levy, a mathematics and science teacher who influenced her move into sculpture. Benno Schotz, under whom she studied at the Glasgow School of Art also encouraged her in this area and from the early ‘50’s onwards she worked entirely in the sculpture medium.
Franks drawings and sculptures were exhibited in the Royal Glasgow Institute, the Royal Academy, and the Royal Scottish Academy throughout her artistic career. There have also been exhibitions of her work at Stirling University, the Portico Gallery, Manchester and in the Edinburgh Fringe.