The open page from the 1943 Ledger from Ben Uri’s new premises, 14 Portman Street, London W1 shows first purchases enabled the Society to have tea!. An entire Georgian house was secured for Ben Uri by Treasurer, Cyril Ross, from Ben Tobert in late 1943, and a major opening exhibition which received critical acclaim was held in January 1944 in the midst of ‘flying bombs’. The space allowed the collection to be displayed along with loan exhibitions and a first salaried secretary/curator to be employed, émigré artist/art historian Fritz Solomonski, recently released from internment on the Isle of Man. The area suffered heavy bombing during the war and was due for redevelopment. After Ben Uri moved out in 1960 the whole block was demolished and rebuilt.